2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 30 v 22 Bargoed
12 November 2016 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 30 Bargoed 22

Cardiff made it three wins in a row after a hard fought game with League newcomers Bargoed.

Despite their league position Bargoed have been close to winning all their last few games and came to the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park looking to build on their recent performances. Cardiff though had the better of the first quarter and Diggy Bird got the Blue & Blacks on their way with an early penalty. And he doubled the lead with a second one five minutes later. And he was the engineer of the game's first try. The forwards had set up a position that allowed Bird to stab the ball behind the Bargoed defence. Olli Smyth was first to it and in one move magnificently picked up the ball and shot past the covering defence to score. Bird topped it off with a great touch line conversion and Cardiff seemed to be running away with the game.

But Bargoed rallied and started to play some rugby that led to their first try. Following a series of pick and drives the home defence was fragmented and James Pizey was able to scramble over. Bird extended Cardiff's lead with another penalty but just before half time James Hallett landed one for Bargoed to leave them 8-16 down at half time.

The second half was one that belong to the defences of both sides. Bird added another penalty before a purple patch for the visitors began as Adam Coupe was driven over from close range for a converted try that closed the gap to six points. Cardiff we looking a little bit on the ropes but were able to wrestle the upper hand back for a short period during which new Cardiff RFC cap Harri Griffiths showed what he is capable of as he glided through the defence to score. Bird's conversion cannoned off the post but it seemed like the game was secure. Bargoed though had other ideas as they piled on the pressure. And that pressure was turned into points as Lewis Bowden found a way through to score. Hallett converted and Bargoed were back within a score with a few minutes left on the clock. But they were to leave with nothing as Cardiff kept their heads and drove to the other end of the pitch. A penalty award followed and Gareth Thompson on for man of the match Bird slotted the kick to give Cardiff a 30-22 win.

The children from Ysgol Gymraeg Caerffili provided the half time entertainment and after the game were introduced to the players. Our thanks to the teachers and parents for their support in allowing the children to play rugby.