2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 37 v 22 Newport
27 October 2017 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 37 Newport 22

Cardiff gained a bonus point win at the Arms Park as they ran in four tries against oldest rivals Newport.

The Blue & Blacks had several new faces in the line-up as they took to the field and the started as if they wanted to play from anywhere. in the opening ten minutes the visitors hardly had their hands on the ball, but Cardiff couldn’t find the killer pass and it took until the thirteenth minute for them to get the scoreboard moving. Captain Gareth Thompson’s pass to Rhys Carre sent the prop charging upfield, and when he was stopped a pop pass from Lewis Jones sent Dan Fish through a hole in the Newport defence. With only the fullback to beat there was only going to be one winner, Fish dotting down under the posts for Thompson to convert.

The Black and Ambers got themselves on the board when Hadyn Simonds landed a straight forward penalty but Thompson replied in kind two minutes later to preserve the one score lead. The Blue & Black pack was now starting to gain control especially in the loose. Dan Crimmins was rampaging up the field ably supported by Ben White, and when Newport had the ball Reuben Tucker and Miles Normandale stopped them dead in their tracks. But it was the front row who were responsible for Cardiff’s next two scores. Kirby Myhill and Anton Peikrishvili combined to force a tackle penalty that Thompson slotted. Carre went on yet another run that was stopped illegally for Thompson land a kick that sent Cardiff in 16-3 ahead.

The Blue & Blacks would have been told at half time that they should have had much more reward for their efforts and when they came out in the second half they looked to put that right straight away. Carre was again at the forefront, going on another barnstorming run that was to earn him Man Of The Match later. This time though he was pulled down a few metres short, but when the ball was recycled White was able to dive over from a few yards out. Thompson added the extras.

Newport weren’t in the mood to give up though and got themselves straight back into the game. Prop Haydn Palmer crossing. But Cardiff were in determined mood and the third try arrive shortly after. This time the forwards did all the hard work but it was Dafydd Smith who claimed the score as a deft kick through by Will Rees-Hole bounced up nicely allowing the centre to trot over for a converted score.

The game then went into a period of stalemate as both sides made changes that ended with neither side having control. Cardiff were looking for the bonus point try but it took until three minutes before the end of normal time for them to find it. A penalty was shunted into the corner and with the resulting maul moving towards touch Ian Jenkins took the ball infield to claim his first Cardiff score. Ben Thomas added the extras and it looked like game over. But from somewhere the referee found another ten minutes and in that time Newport managed to score twice. Harri Land and Ryan James the men to cross, but it made no difference to the final outcome and Cardiff travel to Merthyr next week following this confidence boosting win.

Official : Simon Mills (Wales)

Cardiff Newport