2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bargoed 7 v 39 Cardiff
30 March 2018 - Bargoed Park, Bargoed

Match Report

Bargoed 7 Cardiff 39

Cardiff extended their winning streak to five games with a five star performance at Bargoed Park.

With the rain and wind lashing across the ground the game was never going to be an open running game, but to both team’s credit they tried to entertain the crowd who had turned up to watch the game. The early part of the game was spent in the Cardiff half as the tried to work their way out of their own twenty-two. But the ball was dropped an Ieuan Jones was able to pick up and romp over from a few metres out, Callum Jones converted.

It didn’t take the Blue & Blacks long to  get level though. This time it was Bargoed who made the mistake. Cardiff pounced on a loose ball and Gareth Thompson sent Adam Jones through to score, Thompson added the extras. Cardiff took the lead when a long kick downfield forced Bargoed to clear to touch. From the lineout the drive was forced in field, but it didn’t stop it rumbling over the line with Luke Crocker at the bottom of the pile. Thompson’s converted from wide out. He was also on target with two tricky penalties to extend the visitor’s lead.

Bargoed tried to get some momentum going but this was a performance that was not only about the attacking capability of the Blue & Blacks but also the defence. In three games the Blue and Blacks have only conceded 20 points and only one score in each of the last two games. And today was no different. Every time Bargoed attacked they were repelled. And when another attack was disrupted the ball was sent long into the home twenty-two. A great chase put immense pressure on the defenders and Cardiff came up with the ball. The ball was recycled a couple of times before the overlap was created. Former Bargoed hooker Ian Jenkins was able to plunge over. Thompson’s conversion rebounded off the post but Cardiff had a healthy half time 25-7 lead.

Bargoed came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half, but the defence was fantastic as it stopped driving lineouts and forced mistake after mistake before clearing downfield. And when the home side tried to get away from their twenty-two Rhodri Cole and the back row put huge pressure on the kicker forcing him to knock on in goal. Cole was the first to the loose ball to secure the bonus point. The scrum half added the extras himself with Thompson off the field.

Cardiff though saved the best until last as ty number five was racked up. This was a team try that was finished by an individual piece of magic. The whole team were again involved ion defending their line and when the ball was stolen away and given to Dan Fish the fullback, filling in a outside half set off on a run from inside his own half. Spotting a gap, he shot through it to be faced with one last defender. A delicate chip over him sat up nicely for the fullback and he grounded the ball to round off a great score. Llywarch Ap Myrddin converted to round off a great team performance that sees Cardiff retain third place in the table.

Official : Gareth John (Wales)

Bargoed Cardiff