2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 17 v 20 Ebbw Vale
12 May 2018 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Ebbw Vale

Match Report

Cardiff 17 Ebbw Vale 20

Cardiff finished their season with a disappointing loss to Ebbw Vale at the Arms Park.

The visitors dominated most of the game and for 40 minutes it looked like the Blue & Blacks would end up on the end of a larger defeat, But a second half comeback gave the home a chance until a controversial ending.

The Steelmen were looking to push themselves into the top seven and started the game with a bang. Within three minutes Dai Langdon had given them the lead and he doubled that lead ten minutes later when Cardiff were penalised at a scrum. That was one of many penalties that confused the crowd and allowed Ebbw territory. And in the 16th minute they made the most of it as scrum half Sam Ireland made a break. He was supported by wing Toby Fricker who shot over under the posts. Langdon converted and sent Ebbw in 13-0 up at the break.

Cardiff were much better in the second half as the rhythm started to come back. Gareth Thompson got the scoreboard moving for the Blue & Blacks with a penalty but it took nearly 20 minutes into the half before Cardiff were to score again. Despite having territorial advantage getting the ball from set pieces was a problem but when Ebbw lost the ball in their own twenty-two Cardiff capitalised. The ball went through several pairs of hands before Ian Jenkins ploughed over

Langdon missed a penalty for the visitors before the scored their second try this time fullback Leon Stone the recipient of the scoring pass. Langdon added the extras. But Cardiff did not give up, a great break by Thompson saw him clear into the twenty-two before finding Llyward Ap Myrddin to score. That left Cardiff three points behind with five minutes left. The Blue and Blacks reclaimed the kick off and marched straight down the other end. From a lineout close to the Ebbw line they looked likely to score the winning try but the throw went astray and Ebbw cleared. But Cardiff were determined and when the got the ball back a hack through by Corey Howells put pressure of the Steelmen’s defence. The Blue & Blacks forced a penalty but played the advantage turning the ball over and sending it wide where Will Rees Hole and Ap Myrddin were waiting and as the two combined the line was at Rees-Hole’s mercy only for him to be tackled without the ball. But the officials saw it differently and somehow can up with a penalty to Ebbw Vale for crossing?

 And that was that as Ebbw cleared the ball to touch for a 20-17 win

Official : Jason Bessant (Wales)

Cardiff Ebbw Vale