Cardiff 12 v 5 Quins
19 August 2017 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Cardiff 12 - Carmarthen 5

Cardiff won a tight last pre-season friendly against Carmarthen Quins at the Arms Park.

The game saw several changes to the side that beat Taunton the week before due to Blues call ups and a couple of knocks picked up along the way. The Quins started brightly and their scrum became a dominant feature of the first half for them, earning several penalties that put them in good field position.  That was to be thwarted though by outstanding Cardiff defence. On several occasions the Quins threatened the line but were held at bay by staunch tackling.

The only area that the Blue & Blacks will want to work on the defence around the fringes as the Quins broke through that area several time. Those breaks though were stopped by the back three. The defence of Ceri Young, Pat Lewis and Llywarch Ap Myrddin was outstanding as the stopped what seemed certain tries on at least three occasions.

Cardiff were always on the back foot. When they had the ball they looked to go forward and the partnership between 9, 10 & 12 was developing nicely. Rhodri Cole was a live wire at scrumhalf around the fringes and Gareth Thompson and Will Rees Hole combined to set up several chances, unfortunately the last pass didn’t go where the Blue & Blacks wanted it.

The Quins were the first on the board. For once Cardiff simple ran out of defenders. The ball was whipped wide and Lewis Millen was able to scramble over. The stirred Cardiff and then took the lead after the forwards had put Cardiff in a great position. Thompson fired the back line and when he found a galloping Cory Tucker he was able to put him through a hole in the Quins defence for the in Quins defence. The second row still had a bit to do but was able to make it to the line for a try that Thompson converted.

The second half saw Cardiff attack with much more determination. Rees Hole and Daffydd Smith were causing the Quins no end of problems and with the pace of the back three the Blue & Blacks looked likely to score every time they had the ball. Only stout defence from the visitors and a couple of adjudged forward passes stopped that from happening. Cardiff did eventually get their second. Great build up work by Ap Myrrdin and Lewis put the Quins on the back foot, and Thompson was again the provider as he sent Man Of The Match Rees Hole over. That proved to be the last score and Cardiff will now look forward to the start of the Premiership on Sunday at Rodney Parade.