Cardiff 53 - Swansea 25

By Ian Tabor | 11/03/2018

Cardiff secured a bonus point win at the Arms Park with a fantastic team performance.

The Blue & Blacks scored seven tries in all in a game that entertained the Arms Park crowd. Right from the start both sides looked to play an expansive game, but it was penalties that dominated the early stages. Two kicks were converted by Cardiff with Gareth Thompson landing the points as part of the outside half’s 23 point haul.

The first try went to the visitors. A Cardiff mistake near the Swansea line as they looked for the first try saw the ball land in Whites hands. And they took the opportunity to move the ball wide. A couple of missed tackles later and they were over the line at the other end – Andrew Claypole scoring.

It didn’t take the home side long to respond in kind. A yellow card gave Cardiff a numerical advantage and the Blue & Blacks worked their way down-field through several phases. Lewis Jones and Will Rees-Hole made inroads into the Swansea twenty-two before Dan Fish broke towards the line and fed Corey Howells. The winger crossed for Cardiff’s first try, Thompson added the conversion.

And the card was to hurt the visitors again as another break straight from the kick off by James Beal broke the defence. Fish and Dafydd Smith linked in mid-field before Lewis Jones sent Thompson over for a converted try. Swansea kicked two penalties just before halftime but between them Cardiff got their third try. This time the forwards setting up the position, Joe Miles and Peter Lloyd driving the ball up. Rory Pitman made another burst before the ball went loose. The clearing kick though was charged down by Murphy, giving Lewis Jones a simple run-in to score. Thompson converted as the yellow card cost the visitors three tries.

The second half saw more entertaining attacking rugby. Lewis Jones capped a Man of the Match performance with his second try after a Rees-Hole run to extend the home side’s lead and secure a bonus point. And the fifth try followed shortly after. Cardiff pressured the Swansea line through Callum Bradbury giving them scrappy ball. The home forwards charged disrupt further and when Swansea tried to escape a loose pass giving Dafydd Smith the opportunity to put the ball in Ben Thomas’ hands allowing the replacement to canter over for try number five – Thompson’s conversion attempt cannoning back off the post..

Swansea though did not give up. They got themselves a small foothold in the game when Richard Fussell went over but Cardiff were in no mood to be generous More pressure led to try number six deservedly scored by Will Rees-Hole. The centre had worked tirelessly all game and when he cut back on an angle onto Thompson’s pass there was no one at home for the visitors as Rees-Hole dotted down. Swansea added a try late on but Cardiff had the final word. A Fish kick into space ended up near the Swansea line and as the Whites tries to clear the ball James Beal charged the kick down and as the ball went loose in the in goal area the wing pounced on it to score – severely winding himself in the process. Gareth Thompson added the conversion to end a day the Blue & Blacks could celebrate with the biggest win and arguably the best performance of the season so far.

During the game two more Blue & Blacks reached the milestone of gaining their Club Caps. Congratulations to Ian Jenkins and Ben White on their achievement.


Latest News