Cardiff 25 RGC 19

Cardiff beat RGC for the first time in the Premiership in a game that was played in front of a live television audience, but in dreadful conditions.

As the game kicked off the rain started to fall and with a keen wind blowing down the ground the Blue & Blacks were forced to play into it. But they mad the stronger start and were first on the scoreboard within five minutes. An attacking lineout was stopped, but when the ball was moved out to the backs Steffan Jones found Will Rees-Hole on an angled run that allowed the centre to cut the line and brush of the last line of defence to crash over under the posts, Jones added the extras.

RGC though came straight back into the game with a try of their own. Having had a period of sustained possession they put immense pressure on the home defence. That seems to stand up to the test, but eventually the visitors worked an opening and Evan Yardley was able to score. Billy McBryde added the conversion to draw the teams level. And the North Wales side took the lead just before half time. A scrum penalty was quickly taken by scrum half Efan Jones and when he fed Aron Evans the winger still had plenty to do. But he managed to get passed the defenders to score in the corner. That left the visitors 12-7 ahead at the break.

As the second half started the rain seemed to clear a little and it certain changed the mood in the Blue & Blacks. Within five minutes they were level on the board again. The Cardiff scrum that had been a force in the last few game was starting to deliver a string of penalties, and although the lineout didn’t get the ball over, when it was recycled Martin Roberts fed Adam Jones who used all his strength to power over in the corner.

Cardiff seemed to have a strangle hold on the RGC forwards for most of the start of the half and there was no surprise when the scrum gained yet another penalty that Jones used to push the Blue & Blacks ahead. And with pressure building mistakes were creeping into the visitors game, a series of mistakes gave Cardiff a lineout in the corner, this time the catch and drive worked perfectly as skipper Joey Tomlinson bided his time at the back of the maul before scoring, Jones added the extras to put Cardiff two scores clear.

It was at that point that the TV audience lost the feed to the game as a power failure saw a blackout on the screens. That didn’t stop the action though and RGC thought they had got back into the game when a defensive error allowed Aron Evans to score. McBryde’s conversion gave them hope but Jones landed another penalty for the home side and the defence then stayed strong until the end to close out Cardiff’s sixth win on the bounce.

Merthyr 23 18 0 5 651 393 91
Cardiff 23 18 1 4 696 469 89
Pontypridd 21 16 0 5 730 374 79
Llandovery 24 16 1 7 652 408 79
Newport 25 15 2 8 629 551 77
Ebbw Vale 24 16 1 7 541 423 76
Aberavon 22 14 2 6 485 415 69
Swansea 24 13 0 11 537 451 65
Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 22 11 1 10 552 456 64
Carmarthen Quins 25 11 1 13 526 469 61
Bedwas 24 8 1 15 515 667 43
Bridgend Ravens 22 8 0 14 427 517 43
Llanelli 25 7 1 17 503 632 40
Cross Keys 23 5 1 17 464 734 34
Bargoed 23 4 0 19 400 756 22
Neath 24 1 0 23 350 943 3